To benefit the maximum number of awardees, any person is allowed to receive grant from only one category (except the childcare grant). If you qualify and apply for multiple categories, indicate them in your application.
Each accepted paper at MMSys’21 and the co-located workshops must be covered by a unique author registration to be included in the proceedings. A travel grant does not waive this requirement. Also note that the recipients of the following grants may be asked to assist the local organizers in the preparation, logistics and various supporting tasks of the conference.
SIGMM Student Travel Grants
Starting this year, SIGMM is centralizing SIGMM support for standard student travel. Any student member of SIGMM is eligible to apply, however, the students who are the first author of an accepted paper (in any track/workshop) are particularly encouraged to apply. The value of the grant depends on the travel distance as listed below:
- $1500 for long-haul (Americas and Asia/Pacific)
- $750 for short-haul (Europe and Middle East)
- $300 for domestic (within Turkey)
Note that the grants can cover any travel expenses (airfare/shuttle, hotel, meals) but cannot be used to cover the registration fee. For more details on the ACM’s reimbursement process, see this.
Applicants must be a member of SIGMM (if not already, become a member here) and enrolled in a university at the time of the submission.
Diversity Travel Grants
MMSys’21 is deeply committed to providing an inclusive environment for exchanging ideas and networking. To achieve this goal, at MMSys’21 we are launching a new initiative to welcome researchers and practitioners from minority groups and less fortunate countries to join us in Istanbul by providing a number of travel grants.
Applicants should satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- Currently working in the multimedia field in any of the countries classified by the UN as Least Developed
- Being a new talent: a PhD student (in the multimedia field) who has never published at MMSys before
- Being a female researcher or practitioner working in the multimedia field
The grants can cover any travel expenses (airfare/shuttle, hotel, meals) but cannot be used to cover the registration fee. The award amounts will be determined on a case-by-case basis and depend on the number of applications. For more details on the ACM’s reimbursement process, see this.
Applicants must be a member of SIGMM (if not already, become a member here).
MMSys’21 is proud to subsidize childcare. Grants of up to $500 per family are available for the conference attendees who are bringing small children to the conference or who incur extra expenses in leaving their children at home. Grants can be used against a variety of childcare options, including:
- On-site childcare at the conference arranged by the parent, including placing kids in a shared care facility or paying for babysitting expenses
- Travel costs for a companion who provides childcare, specifically for non-shared transportation costs such as airfare
- Travel costs for children between the ages of two and twelve
The grants will be given as a reimbursement for expenses, and the parents are responsible for making their own arrangements for childcare. The approved amount could be lower than the requested amount depending on the number of applications.